A couple weeks ago I discovered our local Habitat for Humanity Re-Store. If you don't have one in your area, picture Goodwill meets Home Depot. LOVE!
I was there just to browse, so I didn't get as much as I could have, but I did pick up some Italian ceramic tiles. I fell in love with the shape, but could have gone without their color. I know to never judge anything by color (there is nothing spray paint or mod podge can't fix!), so I picked up 4.
I knew I wanted to change the color, but wasn't quite sure after that. I tucked them away for a rainy day project, until I knew what I was going to use them for.
Well today it rained. Actually, it's raining, hailing and snowing. Definitally a project type of day!!! I decided on some Ceramic Pot Holders.
Here is what they looked like BEFORE:
The Hubs really liked the color of the Red ones (they actually have a cool marbly look to them, which was hard to catch on film) so I decided to pretty much leave those ones alone, and concentrate my efforts on the puke green colored ones.
I found some cute scrap booking paper that I liked and it went for it.
(Hint: No need to cut the paper to the exact shape. I used sand paper to "cut" the edges once dry. I think that gives it a more antique feel than a straight cut.)
1. I roughed up the tile with some fine grit sand paper and lathered on the Mod Podge.
2. Once I had a couple good layers of Mod Pogde on there I sanded the edges to get rid of excess paper.
3. I took some brown/black acrylic paint and painted the side edges. Using a paper towel I took a small amount of paint to blend in the sides and top to give it an "older" feel.
4. I sprayed the tiles with a Clear Heat Resistant Gloss to seal everything in.
5. Lastly I glued some cork to the bottom of each tile.
Can't wait to have my next dinner guest to show off my new Pot Holders!!!
***Where I got the "Italian" part of this project***
If they said, "Made in USA" would I have called them "American Ceramic Pot Holders"??? Probably not. But thinking that I have a little piece of Italy on my table helps me dream!
Hope you're having a great week!!!